Italian Beef Soup
Soup isn’t just for the chilly days. This soup is the perfect way to use up all those summer veggies and those tender chunks of beef add such a delicious flavor. A hearty soup that’s sure to satisfy, and you’ll love the leftovers!
Yields: 8 servings
- 1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chopped yellow onion (1 large)
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and chopped carrots (3 medium)
- 1 cup chopped celery (3 medium)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 8 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups riced cauliflower (I use the pre-riced from the produce department)
- 6 cups spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Season beef with salt and pepper then add the beef to pot and brown about 4 minutes, turning halfway through. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add another 1 Tbsp oil to the empty pot then add onions, carrots, and celery then saute 3 minutes, add garlic saute 1 minute longer.
- Pour in broth, tomatoes, browned beef, basil, oregano, thyme and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring once or twice throughout, for 30 minutes.
- Add riced cauliflower then continue to simmer, covered, 10 minutes (you can also add green beans with potatoes if you like them very soft).
- Stir in spinach and simmer until all of the spinach has wilted and the beef is tender.
- Stir in parsley. Season with additional salt and pepper per taste and serve