Italian Stuffed Peppers – 21 Day Fix Approved
Unlike other stuffed peppers that are often greasy and loaded with dairy, these peppers are light and fresh while still being totally delicious! These peppers can be made in the oven or the slow cooker. To make life even easier, they can be prepped on the weekend and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days until you are ready to bake. Feel free to sub out the rice for riced cauliflower to make this a “carb free” meal.
Yields: 8 servings (½ pepper each)
CONTAINER EQUIVALENTS (per serving): 2 green, ½ yellow, ½ red, ½ blue, 1 tsp
- 3 cups low sugar Marinara (less than 6 grams per serving) divided use
- 4 medium bell peppers, tops cut off and seeds, and veins removed
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion (approx. 2⁄3 medium)
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 lb. raw 93% lean ground turkey or beef
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, quinoa or riced cauliflower to take out the carbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Evenly spread 2 cups marinara in the bottom of large baking dish. Top sauce with pepper halves, skin-side down. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant.
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add turkey; cook, breaking up into small pieces, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Add rice, remaining 1 cup marinara, cheese, salt & pepper, Italian seasoning and basil: mix well.
- Add ¾ cup turkey mixture to each pepper half. Sprinkle tops with 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil. Bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until peppers are browned and tender-crisp.
- Garnish evenly with additional basil.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- In a large pan, heat olive oil. Saute onion, garlic and turkey for 5-10 minutes.
- While the turkey is cooking, slice the tops of the peppers off + remove the seeds.
- Add rice, cooked quinoa or riced cauliflower, 1 1/2 cup of marinara, cheese, salt and pepper to the turkey mixture. Mix well.
- Stuff the peppers with 3/4 cup of the turkey mixture and top each pepper with remaining 1 1/2 cups marinara.
- Add peppers to Slow Cooker. Add 1/2 cup water to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cook the peppers on low for 4 hours, covered.