Italian Turkey Skillet – 21 Day Fix Approved
Who doesn’t love a one-pot dinner? Perfect for quick, easy, weeknight dinners, skillet meals can be made in about 15 minutes. You can follow this recipe as written, or use whatever veggies, in whatever quantities, you have on hand. Get creative with this one! Whatever combinations you choose, this low carb, healthy and tasty turkey skillet dish is well balanced with protein, lots of veggies and flavored with Italian seasoning for a healthy, flavorful and satisfying meal!
Yields: 6 Servings
Portion Fix Containers: 1 green, 1 red, 1 yellow, 1/2 blue, 1/2 tsp
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 1/2 tsp. ground paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- 3/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1/2 – 3/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (more or less desired for heat level)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 6 cups shredded kale, stems removed (I have subbed zucchini and broccoli as well)
- 3 cups (about 2 cans) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup tomato chopped (or one can diced tomatoes, drained)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth mixed with 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in large sauté pan. Add onion and sauté until it begins to soften.
- Add ground turkey, garlic, paprika, water, pepper, fennel, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes (if desired) and 1 tsp salt. Sauté until cooked through.
- Add Kale; cook stirring frequently, for 3 minutes, or until slightly crispy.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add beans, tomatoes, broth mixture, a dash of salt and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened and pan is almost dry.
- Top with cheese and serve!
- Serve over zucchini noodles, whole wheat pasta, cauliflower rice, or quinoa if desired.