Freezer to Slow Cooker Italian Style Meatballs
I love to double this recipe and have extra meatballs to freeze or to use throughout the week for sub sandwiches, pasta or put into soups
Yields: 22 Meatballs
- 1 1/2 pounds lean, ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups tomato or pasta sauce (natural or low sugar)
- 1/4 cup fresh, grated parmesan cheese
- Label your freezer bag with the name of the meal and cooking instructions.
- In a large mixing bowl, knead the turkey together with the spices.
- Roll meat into 22, walnut sized meatballs
- Add Meatballs to the freezer bag. (You can add the pasta sauce to the bag but I add it the morning of cooking.
- Remove as much air from the freezer bag as possible, seal and lay flat in the Freezer.
- The night before cooking, move frozen bag to your refrigerator to thaw
- The morning of cooking, pour meatballs into slow cooker and top with Pasta Sauce
- Cook on “low” setting for 4-6 hours.
- Serve with Zucchini “noodles” or Spaghetti Squash “pasta” and top with Parmesan Cheese
Note #1: These are a fairly dense meatball. You can add finely chopped or food processed veggies like zucchini or mushrooms to the mixture to soften them up a bit. About 1/2 to 1 cup should be fine, and you’ll get more meatballs out of it to boot.
Note #2: You can also Bake these at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.