Lasagna Soup – Stove Top or Slow Cooker
Everything you love about lasagna – all in one bowl of soup! Loaded with chicken sausage, lasagna noodles, marinara and cheese. It’s easy, filling, hearty and perfect for a chilly night.
For the soup:
- cooking spray
- 14 oz sweet Italian chicken sausage, casing removed
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 3 cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups jarred low sugar marinara sauce
- 3 cups torn spinach leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 6 oz broken lasagna noodles, whole wheat or gluten free*
- 6 tbsp part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
Stove Top Directions:
- Heat a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, spray with oil and add the sausage; cook until browned, breaking it up as it cooks with a wooden spoon about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion and crushed garlic and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add the parsley, broth, water, marinara sauce, spinach, bay leaves and fresh black pepper and bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl combine the ricotta, parmesan, and 2 tbsp parsley and mix.
- Add the broken pasta and cook uncovered according to package directions.
- Divide between 6 bowls and top each with 2 tbsp ricotta cheese mixture, mozzarella, fresh cracked pepper and fresh basil on top.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Brown the sausage, onion and garlic in a large nonstick skillet, then transfer to slow cooker and add parsley, broth, water, marinara.
- Cook LOW 8 hours or HIGH 4 hours.
- 30 minutes before soup is done, remove bay leaves and add spinach and pasta.
- Cover and cook on HIGH about 30 minutes until pasta is cooked.