Let’s tackle out mid day meal…LUNCH!!!
Even if you love to cook, packing lunch can be tricky since it requires coming up with meals that will pack, travel, reheat well — and, of course, you’ll look forward to. However, with some consistent practice, nailing that weekly lunch prep can become second nature.
To whip your lunch game into shape — and to hold you accountable — I’ve put together a two-week packed lunch plan that’s flexible enough to fit your tastes, schedule and food preferences, but structured enough that there’s no excuse to quit. Even more, my goal is to help you establish the lunch-packing habit beyond two weeks.
How to Prep:
- Pick a day (most people opt for Sunday) to shop and prep.
- Roast, grill or pan-sear your protein with salt, pepper and your favorite spice.
- As your protein cooks, hard-boil the eggs. Peel and refrigerate. (You’ll only need 4 for lunch, but you can eat the rest for breakfast or as snacks.) Here is how I make my hard boiled eggs in the Instant Pot.
- Cook 4 servings of your whole grain in a pot or a rice cooker. Refrigerate. Here is how I make quinoa in the Instant Pot
- While the grains are cooking, chop the vegetables you bought, then roast them in the oven at 400ºF with olive oil, salt, pepper and your favorite spice. Once cooled, refrigerate.
- Make an easy salad dressing out of two parts olive oil, one part vinegar or lemon juice, a handful of chopped herbs, salt and pepper.
- Store salad greens, raw salad vegetables and cheese in the fridge.
- Store bread in the fridge or on your counter.
Sample Combinations Week 1
VEGETARIAN GRAIN BOWL
1 CUP GRAINS + 1 CUP ROASTED VEGGIES + 2 HARD-BOILED EGGS + 1/2 CUP CHOPPED RAW VEGGIES + 1 TABLESPOON HOMEMADE VINAIGRETTE + 1/4 AVOCADO
EASY AVOCADO-HUMMUS SANDWICH
2 SLICES 100% WHOLE-WHEAT BREAD + 1/4 AVOCADO + HUMMUS + 1 SERVING PROTEIN + SLICED TOMATO + LETTUCE
NOT SAD DESK SALAD
2 CUPS SALAD GREENS + 1 SERVING PROTEIN + 1/2 CUP RAW VEGGIES + 1/2 CUP ROASTED VEGGIES + 1 OUNCE CHEESE + 2 TABLESPOONS HOMEMADE VINAIGRETTE
CHICKEN GRAIN BOWL
1 CUP GRAINS + 1 SERVING CHICKEN + 1 CUP RAW VEGGIES + 2 OUNCES CHEESE + 1 TABLESPOON HOMEMADE VINAIGRETTE
EGG AND AVOCADO TOAST
2 SLICES 100% WHOLE-WHEAT BREAD + 1/2 AVOCADO + 2 HARD-BOILED EGGS + 1 CUP ROASTED VEGGIES
Sample Combinations Week 2
GREEK-INSPIRED GRAIN BOWL
1 CUP GRAINS + 1 SERVING CHICKEN + 1 CUP ROASTED VEGGIES + TOMATO + CUCUMBER + 2 OUNCES FETA + KALAMATA OLIVES
SALMON OR TUNA GRAIN BOWL
1 CUP GRAINS + 1 SERVING SALMON + 1 CUP ROASTED VEGGIES + 1 CUP RAW VEGGIES + 1/4 AVOCADO + 1 TABLESPOON HOMEMADE VINAIGRETTE
DICED CHICKEN-HUMMUS GRAIN BOWL
1 CUP GRAINS + 1 SERVING TOFU + 1 CUP ROASTED VEGGIES + 1 CUP RAW VEGGIES + 1/4 AVOCADO + 2 TABLESPOONS HUMMUS
HIGH-PROTEIN CHICKEN SALAD
1 CUP GRAINS + 2 CUPS SALAD GREENS + 1 SERVING CHICKEN + HARD-BOILED EGG + 2 OUNCES CHEESE + 1 TABLESPOON HOMEMADE VINAIGRETTE
LOADED VEGAN SANDWICH
2 SLICES 100% WHOLE-WHEAT BREAD + 1 SERVING DELI TURKEY + 1/2 AVOCADO + 1 CUP ROASTED VEGGIES + CUCUMBER + TOMATO + 2 TABLESPOONS HUMMUS
Once you get into the habit of prepping ingredients ahead of time, you’ll realize that there are so many possible lunch combinations. Plus, you can repeat the same basic dishes week after week using different meats, grains, cheeses and veggies. That means your meal prep and packing routine will be on autopilot, but your lunches will stay interesting.