Mac and Cheese Cups – 21 Day Fix Approved
These mac and cheese cups are perfect for meal prep and to serve in your kids lunch boxes, a fun dinner or for a heavy appetizer for family gatherings. You can even freeze these in an air tight container and thaw in the microwave in single servings, as needed throughout the week for you and your family.
Yields: 12 muffin cups
Portion Fix Containers: 1 blue, 1 yellow (for 2 mac and cheese cups)
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1¼ cups + 2 Tbsp. grated cheddar cheese, divided use
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 4 oz. cooked whole-grain macaroni (approx. 2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Lightly coat twelve-cup muffin pan with spray. Set aside.
- Heat almond milk, salt, and garlic to a gentle boil in large saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low. Add in the cream cheese and whisk until smooth.
- While milk mixture is cooking, combine 1¼ cups cheese and cornstarch and egg in a medium bowl; mix well.
- Gradually whisk cheese mixture into gently simmering milk mixture until fully incorporated; whisking frequently as you pour so your egg does not scramble. Whisk for 3 to 6 minutes, or until all cheese has melted and sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Add in macaroni; mix well.
- Divide macaroni mixture evenly between muffin cups.
- Sprinkle evenly with remaining 2 Tbsp. cheese. Bake for 10 to 14 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
Recipe Note: Quinoa macaroni pasta can be substituted for whole-grain macaroni. Using this product will make the recipe gluten-free