Mac and Cheese with Broccoli and Chicken- 21 Day Fix Approved
Get your fill of veggies and comfort food at the same time with this mouthwatering recipe. Sharp cheddar cheese and almond milk make a creamy cheese sauce with just the right amount of gooey goodness.
Portion Fix Containers (per serving): ½ Green, 1 Yellow, ½ Red, ½ Blue, 1 teaspoon
Yields: 8 servings, approx. 1½ cups each
- 4 oz. dry whole wheat elbow macaroni (or pasta)
- 4 tsp. butter (or coconut oil)
- 2 Tbsp. unbleached whole wheat flour (or white flour)
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1¼ cups freshly grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups cooked chopped chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 6 cups chopped broccoli florets, steamed
- 2 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. (Do not use salt or oil if suggested in directions.) Set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, or until brown (don’t let it burn).
- Slowly whisk in almond milk; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until mixture thickens and there are no lumps.
- Reduce heat to low. Add cheese; cook, whisking constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until melted.
- Add macaroni, chicken, broccoli, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, or until heated through.
- Serve immediately.
Tips and Variations:
• Use quinoa pasta and gluten-free flour if you’re following a gluten-free lifestyle.
• Asparagus, green beans or Brussels sprouts can be substituted for broccoli.
• A combination of cheeses like cheddar and Gouda, cheddar and Monterey jack, and cheddar and Asiago can be substituted for sharp cheddar.