Mac and Cheese – 21 Day Fix Approved
Get your fill of veggies and comfort food at the same time with this mouthwatering recipe. Sharp cheddar cheese and almond milk make a creamy cheese sauce with just the right amount of gooey goodness.
Yields: 8 servings, approx. 1½ cups each
4 oz. dry whole wheat elbow macaroni (or pasta)
4 tsp. butter (or coconut oil)
2 Tbsp. unbleached whole wheat flour
1½ cups unsweetened almond milk
1¼ cups freshly grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
3 cups cooked chopped chicken breast, boneless, skinless
6 cups chopped broccoli florets, steamed
1 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
½ tsp. ground black pepper
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. (Do not use salt or oil if suggested in directions.) Set aside.
2. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add flour; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, or until brown (don’t let it burn).
4. Slowly whisk in almond milk; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until mixture thickens and there are no lumps.
5. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese; cook, whisking constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until melted.
6. Add macaroni, chicken, broccoli, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, or until heated through.
7. Serve immediately.
Tips and Variations:
• Use quinoa pasta and gluten-free flour if you’re following a gluten-free lifestyle.
• Asparagus, green beans or Brussels sprouts can be substituted for broccoli.
• A combination of cheeses like cheddar and Gouda, cheddar and Monterey jack, and cheddar and Asiago can be substituted for sharp cheddar.