Mexican Taco Meat
Simple and delicious, this from-scratch taco are a weeknight staple but I encourage you to double or triple this recipe so you have extra lean protein in your refrigerator for the week. Fast, flavorful and perfect for meal prep and dinner. (recipe courtesy of Beachbody)
Yields: 4 serving (approx. 1¼ cups each)
Beachbody container equivalents: ½ green, 1 red, 1 tsp.
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped onion (approx. 1 medium)
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 lb. raw ground 93% lean turkey breast
- 1 cup all-natural tomato sauce, no salt or sugar added
- 1 chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce, chopped (not the entire can, just 1 chili)
- 1 Tbsp. adobo sauce (sauce from the canned chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce)
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and jalapeño; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Transfer onion mixture to a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Add turkey to the same skillet; cook over medium heat until lightly seared, stirring frequently to break up turkey, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until turkey is no longer pink.
- Add onion mixture, tomato sauce, chipotle chili, and adobo sauce.
- Season with chili powder, oregano, and salt. Mix well.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; gently boil, stirring frequently, for 5 to 8 minutes, or until most liquid evaporates.
Serving Suggestions and Containers:
- Serve with 2 corn tortillas, 1 cup shredded lettuce, and 2 Tbsp. pico de gallo or Homemade Salsa. Container Equivalents: (per serving): 1½ green, 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 tsp.
- Serve in a small sweet potato with 1 cup shredded lettuce, and 2 Tbsp. pico de gallo or Homemade Salsa. Container Equivalents: (per serving): 1½ green, 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 tsp.
- Serve over ½ cup cooked quinoa. Container Equivalents (per serving): ½ green, 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 tsp.
- Serve inside 2 large romaine lettuce leaves. Container Equivalents (per serving): 1 green, 1 red, 1tsp