Nutty Fried Rice
Yields: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 cup rice mixture and about 1 tbsp. sauce)
This hearty vegetarian dish is a fun twist on the usual takeout version of fried rice, incorporating lots of nutty flavor from toasted sesame oil, roasted cashews, peanut butter, and sesame seeds. The rice is drizzled with a savory, creamy peanut sauce that takes the whole thing right into indulgence territory. If you have a peanut allergy, opt for cashew, almond, or sunflower butter instead of peanut butter. Look for toasted sesame seeds on the asain aisle of your supermarket; it’s a great ingredient to keep on hand for busy nights because it saves a step.
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1 tbls. minced garlic
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 8 ounces presliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 (8.8-oz.) pkg. precooked brown rice (such as Uncle Ben’s)
- 1/2 cup unsalted, roasted cashews
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high.
- Add garlic, broccoli and mushrooms; cook 6 minutes.
- Remove broccoli mixture from pan (do not wipe out pan).
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to pan.
- Add rice and cashews; cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in eggs; cook 1 minute. Stir in broccoli mixture, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and pepper.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, peanut butter, vinegar, and 1 tablespoon water in a bowl.
- Top rice mixture with peanut butter mixture and sesame seeds.