Mexican Chicken and Zucchini Skillet
Low carb chicken and zucchini recipe cooked in one skillet with black beans, corn, fresh herbs, taco seasoning and melted cheese on top.
Yields: 6 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 Tbls. minced garlic
- 2 medium bell peppers, chopped
- 1 lb boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 tbsp cumin, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup corn, frozen or fresh
- 14 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- Preheat large deep skillet on low – medium heat and add olive oil. Add onion and garlic, saute until translucent. Add bell pepper and saute for a few more minutes. Move mixture to a side of the skillet and add chicken. Sprinkle with 1 tsp cumin, salt and black pepper. Saute until a bit golden brown, about 5 -7 minutes.
- Add corn, beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning and remaining cumin. Bring to a boil, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini and stir. Sprinkle with cheese, cover and cook for another 5 minutes. Top with green onions and cilantro. Serve hot, on its own or with brown rice or quinoa.
Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 3 – 4 days.