One Pot Mediterranean Quinoa with Sausage
If you appreciate Mediterranean flavors, you’ll love this one pot dish. Tomatoes and spinach add tons of vitamins, while feta cheese and kalamata olives adds a Mediterranean flair. And since it uses just one dish, you’ll want to make it again and again.
This recipe is so easy to customize. For more Mediterranean flavor, you can use turkey Italian sausage instead, and add a sprinkling of herbs like oregano or basil. The choices are endless! But whatever you do, don’t skimp on the feta. That briny flavor really gives the dish a nice salty pop!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups nitrate free turkey or chicken sausage, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (or about 1 1/2 cups diced fresh tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 Tbls. oregano
- 1 Tbls. basil
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed in cool water
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 2 Tbls lemon juice
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 jar pitted kalamata olives
- In large skillet, heat oil on medium heat. Once hot, add turkey sausage, garlic, and onion. Cook until onion begins to soften.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, salt, spices and quinoa. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer and add spinach.
- Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent quinoa from sticking, until broth is absorbed. Take off the heat and add lemon juice and sprinkle with feta and olives.