One Bowl Banana Oat Muffins
These banana muffins are so fluffy and moist that no one will guess they’re a healthier version of a classic flavor. With basic ingredients and only one mixing bowl, these muffins are easy to make! Feel free to add mix-ins of your choice, like chocolate chips, dried fruit or chopped nuts.
Yields: 12 muffins
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil or butter
- ½ cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 eggs, preferably at room temperature
- 1 cup packed mashed ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
- ¼ cup milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling on top
- 1 ¾ cups oat flour (I pulse old fashioned oats in a blender or food processor to measure 1 3/4 cups)
- ⅓ cup whole old-fashioned oats, plus more for sprinkling on top
- 1 teaspoon coconut or granulated sugar, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. If necessary, grease all 12 cups of your muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the coconut oil and maple syrup together with a whisk. Add the eggs and beat well. Mix in the mashed bananas and milk, followed by the baking soda, vanilla extract, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the flour and oats to the bowl and mix with a large spoon, just until combined. If you’d like to add any additional mix-ins, like nuts, chocolate or dried fruit, fold them in now.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups, filling each cup about two-thirds full. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with a small amount of oats, followed by a light sprinkling of sugar.
- Bake muffins for 22 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Place the muffin tin on a cooling rack to cool. You might need to run a butter knife along the outer edge of the muffins to loosen them from the pan. These muffins will keep at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. They keep well in the freezer in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months (just defrost individual muffins as needed).