One Pot or Instant Pot Teriyaki Rice With Chicken & Vegetables
This One Pot Teriyaki Rice with Chicken and Vegetables is a super simple recipe. You can whip it up in about 30 minutes. You can totally use your favorite store brand of Teriyaki Sauce but making it yourself is just so easy with only 5 ingredients and you know the ingredients that are in it. This recipes even has the rice cook up in the same pan!
Ingredients for the Teriyaki Sauce
- 3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce (can also use gluten free tamari or coconut aminos for paleo)
- 2/3 cup rice wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- 1/4 cup water, plus more as needed to thin out sauce
Ingredients for the Chicken and Rice
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil (or olive oil)
- 2 medium boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cup uncooked Brown rice, or other whole grained rice
- 4 cups water (only 2 1/2 cups if cooking in the Instant Pot)
- 2 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup frozen shelled Edamame beans, thawed
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Chopped green onions, for garnish
- In a large 12″ skillet with tall sides, over medium-high heat, add the soy sauce, vinegar, honey, Mirin and starch and whisk to combine. Slowly whisk in water and bring to a boil until thickened. Transfer to a heat safe bowl.
- Wipe down the same pan with a damp cloth, then heat sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring until lightly browned.
- Add the ginger and garlic, stirring for 20 second, or until fragrant. Add the bell peppers and carrots and saute for another 30 seconds.
- Stir in 3/4 of the sauce, reserving the rest for drizzling at the end. Add the rice and gently stir in the water.
- Bring to a simmer, then lower heat to medium and cover pan.
- Cook for 11 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the broccoli and edamame; cover pan and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and drizzle with any remaining teriyaki sauce.
- Serve hot garnished with with sesame seeds and green onions, if desired.
For the Instant Pot Method:
- Open the lid of the Instant Pot and press the SAUTE button, allow to preheat for a few minutes until you hear a beep.
- Whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, honey, Mirin and starch. Slowly add water and bring to a boil, until thickened. Transfer to a heat safe bowl.
- Rinse and dry the inner pot and return back inside the Instant Pot on SAUTE mode. Heat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil. When oil is hot, add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Saute for 2-3 minutes, until lightly brown. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another 20 seconds. Pour in 1/3 of the sauce, the rice and 1 1/4 cups of water.
- Place the lid on, and lock it, setting the valve to sealing.
- Press MANUAL high pressure and set for 7 minutes.
- Once the 7 minutes is up and the Instant Pot beeps, allow the pressure cooker to release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid carefully and press the SAUTE button. Add the bell peppers, carrots, broccoli and edamame and remaining sauce and cook until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions, if desired. Serve hot.