Orecchiette Pasta with Broccoli and Sausage
- 14 oz package Italian chicken sausage, casing removed
- 12 oz uncooked Orecchiette pasta (or brown rice or quinoa pasta for gluten-free)
- 8 cups fresh broccoli florets, no stems (16 oz)
- 6 Tbls. minced garlic
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet and brown the sausage over medium-high, breaking it up as it cooks with a wooden spoon until browned, 5 to 7 minutes; remove from heat.
- When the water boils, add the pasta and bring back to a boil, when the water is boiling, add broccoli and cook according to pasta instructions for al dente.
- When pasta is almost done cooking, reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water and set aside. Drain pasta and broccoli.
- Return the pot to the stove and set heat to high; add 2 tbsp olive oil, when hot, add garlic. Cook until golden, about 1 minute, stirring frequently. Reduce heat back to low and add pasta back to the pot with the sausage.
- Mix well, add remaining olive oil, grated cheese, salt and pepper to taste mixing well and smashing any large pieces of broccoli to break up.
- Add 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water and mix well adding more if needed.
- Serve in pasta bowls with additional grated cheese on the side, if desired.