Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
This is my favorite way to serve broccoli for my family or guests.
- 4 to 5 pounds broccoli
- 4 tsp. minced garlic
- 5 Tbls olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts or slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil leaves (about 12 leaves)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the broccoli florets from the thick stalks, leaving an inch or two of stalk attached to the florets, discarding the rest of the stalks.
- Cut the larger pieces through the base of the head with a small knife, pulling the florets apart.
- You should have about 8 cups of florets.
- Place the broccoli florets on a sheet pan large enough to hold them in a single layer.
- Toss the garlic on the broccoli and drizzle with 5 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.
- Remove the broccoli from the oven and immediately toss with 1½ tablespoons olive oil, the lemon zest, lemon juice, pine nuts, Parmesan, and basil. Serve hot.
(Photo and Recipe credit of Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics by Ina Garten)