Pumpkin Pie Energy Bites
The secret ingredient in these delicious little pumpkin “energy” bites? Dates! The sweet and sticky fruit holds all the good stuff in this recipe together and is known to be a great source of energy and fiber. Sweetened with pure maple syrup and rolled in coconut flakes, these treats are a clean alternative to candy and cake cravings. Maple extract take the nutty and earthy flavors up a notch — because healthy doesn’t have to be boring.
Portion Fix Containers: 1 Purple, ½ Blue
Yields: 8 servings of 2 pieces each
- 1 cup pitted dates
- Warm water
- 3/4 cup quick rolled oats
- ⅓ cup canned pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes reserve small amount for garnish
- 1 tsp. pure hazelnut extract or pure maple extract
- 1 tsp. pure maple syrup or honey
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (or 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, 1/2 tsp. ginger)
- 1 pinch sea salt or Himalayan salt
Place dates in a medium bowl; cover with water. Let soak for 10 minutes. Drain. Set aside.
Place oats in food processor; pulse until finely ground.
Add dates, pumpkin, coconut, extract, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, and salt; pulse until well mixed. Place in a medium bowl. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes.
Using clean hands, roll into tablespoon-sized balls; roll in reserved coconut (if desired).
Store, refrigerated, in airtight container.
- Store leftover energy bites, refrigerated, in an air-tight container.
- Maple extract can be substituted for hazelnut extract.