Quinoa Salad with Almonds, Feta and Olives
This amazing quinoa salad recipe, features bright, fresh Mediterranean flavors and includes quinoa, fresh parsley, toasted almonds, crumbled feta, green onion and Kalamata olives.
Yields: 6 servings
- 2 cups raw quinoa, cooked
- ½ cup raw almonds, chopped (I chop my by pulsing in a food processor)
- 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 cups torn spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook 1 cup of quinoa according to package directions. Before draining, reserve roughly ½ cup cooking water. Drain remaining water.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, chopped almonds, parsley, olives, green onion, feta and torn spinach.
- In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, garlic and salt. Add ¼ cup of the reserved pasta cooking water, and whisk until blended.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. It might seem like too much dressing at first, but don’t worry, it will get absorbed. Season with pepper, to taste.
- Let the quinoa salad rest for at least 10 minutes (or up to several hours in the refrigerator) so it has time to soak up the dressing. Season to taste with additional salt, if necessary, and serve.
- Leftovers will keep well in the refrigerator for up to four days for an easy lunch or quick side dish.