Salisbury Steak Meatballs (Stove Top or Slow Cooker)
These beefy meatballs are cooked in mushroom gravy and lightened up by using half ground turkey and half lean ground beef. Kid-friendly, comforting and delicious!
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup minced onions
- 1/2 lb 93% lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb 93% lean ground turkey or chicken
- 1/3 cup whole wheat seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste, divided
- kosher salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder (or 1 tsp mustard)
- 5 oz sliced mushrooms (chop them up fine or puree if you don’t like mushrooms)
- 1 1/4 cup reduced sodium beef broth
- Finely chop 1 oz of the mushrooms into small pieces and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine half of the onions with the ground beef, ground turkey, chopped mushroom, bread crumbs, egg, 1 tbsp. tomato paste, 1/4 cup of the beef broth, 3/4 tsp salt and black pepper.
- Gently shape into 20 small meatballs.
- In a small bowl, blend flour and 1 cup broth until smooth. Mix in remaining ¼ cup onions, remaining 1 tbsp tomato paste, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and mustard powder.
- Heat a non-stick pot to high and add remaining teaspoon of oil and brown the meatballs about 2 minutes until no longer sticks, turn and brown an additional 2 minutes. Add the remaining 4 oz of mushrooms, 1/8 teaspoon salt and black pepper and pour the sauce over the meatballs, cover and cook on high for 20 minutes.
Note 1: Slow Cooker Directions: Saute meatballs in a skillet, transfer to slow cooker with mushrooms, salt and pepper and pour sauce over. Cover and cook low 6 to 8 hours, until tender.
Note 2 : This can be frozen and tossed into a gallon freezer bag. To serve, thaw and cook the same as above.
Serving Note: Serve over Cauliflower Mashed “potatoes” and a side of roasted veggies.