Fresh Salsa Baked Chicken
Tender chicken breasts are diced and seasoned with spices, then smothered in a freshly made salsa and baked to melting perfection with a bubbly cheesy topping. Simple and delicious.
- 2 lbs chicken breast, boneless and skinless, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes or cayenne
- 2 cups diced grape or Roma tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (or color of choice)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 fresh chopped cilantro
- 3 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Chop chicken breasts into bite-size pieces.
- Arrange the chicken pieces flat in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish and season evenly with cumin, chili powder, garlic, red chili pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Tossing evenly to coat.
- In a salad bowl, combine tomato, green pepper, onion, cilantro and lime juice with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cover chicken pieces with the diced tomatoes, onion, and jalapeño, then top with shredded mozzarella.
- Bake on the middle rack for 25 – 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink (internal temperature of 165˚F – 74ºC). Garnish with more chopped cilantro, and serve hot with your favorite side dish – like rice, cauliflower rice, pasta or tortillas… Enjoy!