Seven-layer dip has always been a regular feature of watching football games. It’s one of my husbands favorite snacks served with restaurant-style tortilla chips.
This lighter version of seven-layer dip is heavy on fresh veggies, and uses nonfat refried beans and low-fat yogurt instead of sour cream. As a lifelong connoisseur of seven-layer dip, I can attest to its tastiness. The next time I make it I’ll buy spicier beans and add chopped jalapeno, because that’s how I roll.
Yields: 10 servings
2 medium ripe avocados
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 dash sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
1 dash ground black pepper
8 oz low-fat plain Greek yogurt
2 tsp. all-natural taco seasoning, no salt added or homemade seasoning
1 (15-oz) can nonfat refried beans, warm
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 bunch green onions, ends trimmed, sliced thin
2 Tbsp. shredded cheddar (or pepper jack) cheese (½ oz)
1. Mash avocados in a medium bowl.
2. Add lime juice, salt, and pepper; mix well. Set aside.
3. Combine yogurt and taco seasoning in a medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
4. Top serving platter with beans, avocado mixture, yogurt mixture, tomatoes, peppers, green onions, and cheese.
5. Serve with baked tortilla chips.