Shrimp and Vegetable Pesto with Pasta
Fettuccine and shrimp in a light and simple pasta dish that works for family or casual entertaining.
Yields: 6 servings
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine (or gluten free)
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- ½ cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers
- ¼ cup prepared pesto
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound raw shrimp, (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add fettuccine and cook for 3 minutes less than the package directions specify.
- Add asparagus and continue cooking until the pasta and asparagus are just tender, about 3 minutes more.
- Reserving ¼ cup of the cooking water, drain the fettuccine and asparagus and return to the pot. Stir in peppers and pesto. Cover to keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until pink, about 3 minutes.
- Add wine, increase heat to high and continue cooking until the shrimp are curled and the wine is reduced, about 3 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and the reserved cooking water to the pasta; toss to coat. Season with pepper and serve immediately.