Coconut Shrimp and Curry Soup
Skip the takeout! This will be your go-to curry soup! Serve with fresh Thai basil, cilantro and lime juice. So cozy, so good. (Courtesy of Damn Delicious)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown or coconut sugar
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat coconut oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add bell peppers and onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in red curry paste, ginger and garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in chicken stock, tomato sauce, fish sauce and brown sugar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until flavors have blended, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and simmer until reduced and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp, and cook, stirring occasionally, until pink and cooked through, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in basil, cilantro and lime juice; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately.