Simple Beef and Bean Burritos
These easy, delicious and healthy beef burritos are made with quality ground beef, Mexican spices, and some refried beans to make a fast and simple week night meal.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (10 – 15 oz) cans enchilada sauce or Mexican tomato sauce ( like El Pato brand)
- 1 – 28 ounce can refried beans (or a mix of refried and black beans)
- 3/4 cup grated Cheddar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 12 burrito size flour tortillas (or tortillas of choice)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. and spray and 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the onions until softened.
- Add the ground beef and cook until the beef is cooked through. Add the cumin, chili powder, oregano, and salt and stir to combine.
- Pour in all but 1 cup of enchilada or tomato sauce into the meat and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Add a little water if the mixture gets too dry.
- Meanwhile, heat the refried beans in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the cheese, and stir it in till its melted. Remove from the heat.
- Heat the tortillas in the microwave for 1 minute, and then spread a small amount of beans on each tortilla. Add a small amount of meat. Fold over the ends of the tortilla, and then roll them up. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas and place them in your 9 x 13 pan.
- Drizzle the remaining 1 cup of enchilada or tomato sauce over all of the burritos and sprinkle with more grated Cheddar cheese.
- Warm in the oven for a 10 minutes just to melt the cheese.
- Sprinkle the tops with the cilantro leaves and serve immediately