Skillet Corn Bread
This corn bread recipe is perfect for those who like their corn bread loaded with flavor.
Yields: 12 servings
- Cooking spray
- 1 ¼ cups stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk (make your own with 1 cup milk plus 1 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar and let it sit for 5 min)
- ½ cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeño peppers
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place a 9-inch cast-iron skillet coated with cooking spray in the oven 5 minutes or until heated.
- Combine cornmeal, corn, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk; make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine buttermilk, cheese, jalapeños, butter, honey, oil, and eggs in a small bowl; add to cornmeal mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Spoon mixture into the preheated pan.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack. Cut into 12 wedges.