Skillet Quinoa Chicken Enchilada
This entire quinoa skillet dish is cooked from start to finish in 30 minutes, all in ONE pot! It’s a healthy, nutritious & flavorful family-friendly dish!
- 1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into cubes
- 1 Tbls. minced garlic
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tsp salt & 1/2 tsp. pepper or to taste
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained
- 1 cup corn (frozen or canned)
- 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- Optional toppings: avocados, sour cream/Greek yogurt, Cilantro, sliced black olives
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet with a lid, heat 1 tablespoon of oil (I used coconut oil, you can use the oil of your choice) over medium heat and add the cubed chicken, onion and garlic, stirring together with the oil to coat. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring and watching the garlic so it doesn’t burn but chicken becomes brown. No need to cook all the way through.
- Add the quinoa, broth, salt, pepper, ground cumin, paprika and chili powder and stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce the temperature to a simmer, cover, and continue to simmer to 15 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the quinoa and the quinoa has popped and begins to look fluffy.
- Add the enchilada sauce, black beans, corn kernels, and diced tomatoes. Stir in and cook for another 5 minutes until heated through.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the dish and cover the skillet so that the cheese melts.
- Serve with optional garnishes such as parsley, avocados and sour cream/greek yogurt on top. Enjoy!