Skillet Chicken with Green Beans and Bacon
This quick and easy chicken dish is cooked in a white wine sauce with string beans and bacon, all in one skillet. You can modify this basic recipe using any veggies you like! Zucchini and Asparagus are awesome substitutes.
Yields: 4 Servings
- 6 strips center-cut bacon, chopped
- 2lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut lengthwise into thin cutlets
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ of a white onion, diced
- 1 Tbls. minced garlic
- ¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup crisp white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc (use more broth for Whole30 or Paleo)
- 2 teaspoon thyme
- 16 ounces French green beans (fresh or frozen)
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and sauté until brown and crisp. Remove bacon pieces with a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel lined plate and set aside. Wipe out the majority of the bacon grease with a paper towel, leaving a very thin coating in the pan.
- Season both sides of the chicken pieces with salt and black pepper and add to the skillet. Cook 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil.
- Add the onion to the now empty skillet and sauté 1 minute, scraping up brown bits. Add the garlic and sauté 30 seconds more. Add the broth, wine and thyme and stir. Add the green beans, increase the heat to medium-high and cook for about 8 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced and the green beans are crisp tender, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the chicken breasts and green beans to a serving platter. Season beans with 1/2 teaspoon salt and fresh pepper. Pour chicken juices from the plate into sauce and stir and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Pour sauce over the chicken and green beans and top with chopped bacon.