Slow Cooker Barbecue Shredded Chicken
Slow Cooker. BBQ. Chicken. Meaning… no oven – no fuss, no gross ingredients. Leftovers for wraps and sandwiches… Yes, please.
- 1 1/4 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Grainy mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, thighs or a mix of the two
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chile powder (or regular chile powder)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and pepper
- To make the BBQ sauce. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 months.
- To make the chicken. Place the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Add the honey, smoked paprika, chile powder, garlic powder, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat the chicken.
- Pour in half of the BBQ sauce. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 4-6 hours.
- Once the chicken is done cooking, remove it from the sauce and shred with two forks, return the chicken to the sauce and toss, adding more of the reserved sauce as desired.
- Serve over sandwich thins, a bed of greens or shredded cabbage and alongside your favorite sides.