Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan
Save time/effort and make everyone’s FAVORITE Italian dish in your slow cooker. You can also freeze half for another meal! Make once and eat twice!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp.Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 Tbls. minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 pound penne – (gluten free or whole wheat)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Combine crushed tomatoes, onion, basil, oregano, parsley, garlic and red pepper flakes, if using. Stir into the slow cooker and gently toss to combine.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Place chicken into a 6-qt slow cooker into the sauce.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker and shred, using two forks.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well.
- Stir pasta (you can keep the pasta separate so you can portion out your own carbs) and chicken into the slow cooker; top with cheeses. Cover and cook on low heat for an additional 10-20 minutes, or until the cheeses have melted.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.
- Serve with a side of steamed or roasted broccoli, green beans or zucchini. If you keep the pasta separate you can serve your chicken Parmesan over a bed of Zucchini noodles.