Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos – 21 Day Fix Approved
This chicken filling is so easy to throw together, and it uses a few simple ingredients and requires minimal prep. The other thing I really love about this recipe is that my entire family loves these pulled chicken tacos! My kids can be picky, but these tacos are 100% kid approved. If you don’t get too crazy with the toppings (like cheese/sour cream) then they are healthy too — just stick with the corn tortillas over white flour ones.
Portion Fix Container Equivalents: 1 Red, 1½ Yellow, 1 Blue
Yields: 4 servings, approx. 2 tacos each
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 small can diced jalapeno peppers, drained (optional if you like it spicy)
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. ground smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 1 lb. raw chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas, warm
- 1 cup pico de gallo (or fresh tomato salsa)
- 1 medium ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 medium lime, cut into 4 wedges
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup canned nonfat refried beans, warmed
- Place chicken broth, garlic, jalapeños (if desired), chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, bay leaves, and chicken in a 3-quart slow cooker; mix well and cover. Cook on high for 2½ to 3 hours (or on low for 4 to 5 hours), or until chicken is tender.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and shred with 2 forks.
- Evenly divide chicken between tortillas. Top evenly with pico de gallo, avocado, lime juice, and cilantro.
- Serve two tacos with ¼ cup refried beans; serve immediately.