Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Root Vegetables
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled, quartered lengthwise
- 2 parsnips, peeled, quartered lengthwise
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Place potatoes, carrots, parsnips and bay leaves into a 6-quart slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix mustard, thyme, 1 Tbsp. flour and 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper in a small bowl; rub mixture all over roast.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over high heat and sear meat on all sides until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Add to slow cooker, on top of vegetables.
- Wipe out skillet and heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook until translucent and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in remaining flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute more. Slowly stir in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Pour onion mixture into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, about 8 hours.
- Slice meat and place on a platter; transfer vegetables using a slotted spoon. Discard bay leaves. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
To Freeze and Slow Cook Later:
- Label your freezer bag with the name of the recipe, cooking instructions, and use-by date (three months from when you prepped the meal).
- Add all ingredients to your bag.
- Remove as much air as possible, seal, and freeze for up to three months.
- When ready to cook, thaw in refrigerator overnight or in morning in water and then follow cooking instructions above.
- Serve with a fresh garden salad.