Slow Cooker Quinoa Chicken Primavera
Easy, healthy, and totally delicious! This recipe is made with peas, asparagus, quinoa, chicken, pesto, and Parmesan cheese. What’s not to love? (Courtesy of Pinch of Yum)
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, uncooked
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups + 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 6 ounces pre-made jarred pesto
- 2 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
For toppings: Watercress, fresh parsley, chives, Parmesan or Asiago cheese, cooked chopped bacon
- Rinse the quinoa. Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Place the quinoa, chicken, 4 cups broth, garlic, salt, pepper and seasonings in the Slow Cooker. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- When the quinoa and chicken are done, the mixture should be very thick and sticky. Add the remaining 3 cups of broth (enough to make it smooth and creamy and less sticky but not soupy) and stir to combine – now the mixture should resemble a creamy risotto or casserole.
- Stir in the pesto, peas, and lemon juice and cover to heat through.
- While the peas are heating in the crockpot, heat the oil in a skillet – add the asparagus and sauté for 5-10 minutes, until the asparagus is lightly browned and tender-crisp.
- Add the asparagus to the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Top each serving with fresh herbs, shredded cheese, watercress, olive oil, or anything else you want.