Slow Cooker Burrito Bowls (Freezer Meal Option)
- 1.5 – 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (you can sub ground beef or chicken for the chicken breasts)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 2 Tbls chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbls ground cumin
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups diced tomatoes, drained (use fresh, jarred, or canned tomatoes (15-16 oz)
- 1.5 cups prepared black beans (rinsed well if using canned)
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 1 cup brown rice or quinoa, uncooked
- 1/3 cup shredded Colby jack cheese (optional)
- Place raw chicken (or protein of choice), & diced onion in the slow cooker
- Pour in broth, tomatoes, oil, and seasonings.
- Cook on low for about 5 hours.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker.
- Stir precooked rice/quinoa, corn, and black beans, into the hot liquid remaining in the slow cooker
- Let cook an additional 10 minutes on high.
- In the meantime, quickly chop, or shred chicken.
- Add chicken back in, cook for 10 minutes on high, or just until chicken is hot.
- Serve with fresh diced tomatoes, plain Greek yogurt, green onion, diced avocado or guacamole, top with cheese if desired.
Freezer to Slow Cooker Prep:
- Label your freezer bag with the name of the meal and cooking instructions.
- Place all the ingredients in a gallon size zip lock bag.
- Remove as much air as possible, seal and lay flat in the Freezer.
- The night before cooking, move the frozen bag to your refrigerator to thaw
- The morning of cooking, pour contents into crockpot.
- Cook on “low” setting for 8 hours or high for 4 -6 hours.
- Top with diced tomatoes, sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, green onion, avocado, and additional cheese as desired.