Freezer to Slow Cooker Philly Cheese Steak
These Philly Cheesesteaks are packed with plenty of veggies to make a balanced meal without all the guilt that comes from a traditional Philly sandwich.
Yields: 6 sandwiches
- 2 sweet onions, sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 pounds lean round sirloin steak, thinly sliced (you can ask your butcher to do this)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 6 whole wheat sub rolls
- 6 slices low-fat provolone cheese (optional: use whatever cheese you like best, as long as it melts well)
- Label your freezer bag with the name of the meal and cooking instructions.
- Place all the ingredients (except the sub rolls and cheese) in a Gallon Freezer Ziploc bag.
- Remove as much air as possible, seal and lay flat in the Freezer.
- The night before cooking, move frozen bag to your refrigerator to thaw
- The morning of cooking, pour contents into slow cooker.
- Cook on “low” setting for 6 hours.
To prepare the sandwich, add cheesesteak mixture to a roll, top with cheese, and lightly toast until cheese is melted.