Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers
Hearty, protein/fiber loaded peppers packed with so much flavor – and it’s all made in a slow cooker. Easy and effortless!
Yields: 6 Servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey (raw – no need to cook first)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
- 1 cup salsa, homemade or 1 can tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tsp.cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 bell peppers, tops cut, stemmed and seeded
- 1/2 cup plain 0% Greek Yogurt for topping
- Lightly coat the inside of a 6-qt slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, rice, 1 cup cheese, black beans, corn, salsa, cilantro, cumin and chili powder; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spoon the filling into each bell pepper cavity.
- Place peppers into the slow cooker. (see note below for baking in the oven)
- Place 1 cup of water in bottom of the slow cooker
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours, or until the peppers are tender and the beef is cooked through.
- Uncover and top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Cover and cook on low heat for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately, drizzled with Greek Yogurt, if desired.
Note: These can be prepped ahead and placed upright in a Gallon Freezer Bag with the air taken out. Freeze until ready to use. Simply thaw the night before use and place in the slow cooker following the directions above
Note: These can also be Baked in the Oven at 350 degrees, covered with foil for 40 minutes