Spice-Rubbed Roasted Chicken and Cauliflower
An easy dinner where the cauliflower and onions caramelize, becoming flavorful and sweet and the spice-rubbed chicken releases its juices, which seep into the vegetables, making them even tastier. Serve with Naan bread, couscous or quinoa
Yields: 4-6 servings
- 1 large head cauliflower (about 2.5 lbs pre trimming), cut into florets, large florets halved
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt and 1/2 tsp. fresh pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin,
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons paprika (smoked or regular)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, about 1.5 lbs. (or 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half horizontally and vertically)
- Lemon wedges
- Optional for Serving: Greek-Style Yogurt Sauce/ Dressing (homemade or storebought)
Ingredients for homemade sauce:
Mix together and refrigerate until dinner is ready
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. dried dill or mint
- 1 tsp. salt
- Water to thin out if needed
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and position a rack in the center.
- Grease a 9 x 13 pan and place cauliflower florets and onion in the pan. Drizzle 3 Tbsp. of olive oil on top.
- In a small bowl, stir together the salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, and cayenne. Pour half (about 1 tablespoon and a scant teaspoon) of this mixture over the cauliflower. Use your hands to toss the cauliflower and onions evenly with the oil and spice mix. Roast for about 30 minutes, tossing once after about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place chicken thighs in a large bowl. Season all over with salt (at least another teaspoon). Add the remaining spice mix, the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, and minced garlic. Toss to coat. Let sit at room temperature while the vegetables roast.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Toss everything around. Nestle the chicken around the vegetables. Return pan to the oven and cook for 10 minutes—if thighs are large, they may need 5 more minutes or so. Remove pan from the oven and let everything rest in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Toss everything together and top with a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Serve wrapped in Naan bread or over a bed of quinoa or couscous and a yogurt sauce drizzled on top.