Slow Cooker Spice Rubbed Rotisserie Chicken
- 1 whole, raw chicken, about 5-6 pounds, give or take- thawed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 lemon, sliced, 1/4 inch thick slices
- If your chicken came with the gizzards, remove them from the cavity of the chicken and discard.
- Mix the oil and spices together in a small bowl and using your hands, coat the whole outside of the chicken with your spices.
- Slide your hand between the skin and the meat, separating the skin from the flesh. Spread any remaining spices under the skin and then slide as many lemons slices as you can under the skin as well.
- If you have any lemon slices left over, stuff them in the cavity of the chicken.
- Place the entire bird in a slow cooker (between 4 and 6 quarts works best). No oil or water is needed. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- If you want to cook some vegetables with this, simply put them in the slow cooker first, wrapped tightly in foil so they don’t absorb all the chicken fat, and place your chicken on top of them.IMPORTANT: You absolutely MUST check the temperature of your chicken before removing it from the slow cooker. It should be at least 180 F.