Spinach and Broccoli Strata – 21 Day Fix Approved
This Spinach and Broccoli Strata features broccoli for toothsome texture and a pop of green, while crumbled feta cheese adds a salty, creamy component.
Container Equivalents: 1 Green, ½ Red, 1 Yellow, ½ Blue, 1 tsp.
- Hot water
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 4 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups reduced-fat (2%) milk
- 2 cups raw spinach, chopped
- 1 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 8 slices low-sodium sprouted whole-grain bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese (approx. 1½ oz.)
- Boil water in steamer (or large saucepan) over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high. Place broccoli in steamer basket; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender-crisp and bright green. Place in the ice water bath to stop the cooking process. Drain and coarsely chop. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Combine eggs, salt, pepper, milk, spinach, salt, pepper, broccoli, and onion mixture in a large bowl; mix well.
- Place bread and cheese in a 3-quart baking dish that has been lightly coated with spray.
- Top with egg mixture. Press down gently so that bread absorbs egg mixture. Cover with aluminum foil. Cook now or store in the refrigerator overnight until ready to cook.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake for an additional 15 to 25 minutes, or until strata has puffed up, is cooked through and is lightly browned on top.
Tip: Strata can be covered and refrigerated overnight before baking. (This may increase baking time.) This works well if you are serving it for brunch.