Spinach, Bacon and Swiss Breakfast Strata
This dish has fewer than 20g of total carbs—about half of what you’ll find in classic bread-based casseroles. Greek yogurt, eggs, and cheese pack a mighty protein punch, while a touch of bacon seasons to perfection. The strata is best if allowed to soak overnight. Not only does this build in make-ahead convenience, it also allows the bread to fully absorb the egg mixture—yielding a creamy texture inside, while the top bread pieces get delightfully crisp.
- 4 center-cut bacon slices (or one bag Real bacon pieces or chopped up cooked bacon) about 1/2 cup
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 4 tsp. minced garlic
- 6 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
- 6 ounces crusty whole-grain bread, cut into 1-in. cubes
- 3 ounces shredded Swiss Cheese (3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- If using uncooked bacon, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium until crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, reserving 1 1/2 tablespoons drippings in skillet; discard any remaining drippings. Finely chop bacon; set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to drippings in skillet over medium-high heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is browned and tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add spinach; cook until spinach wilts, about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Toss together chopped bacon, onion mixture, bread cubes, and cheese in a large bowl.
- Arrange mixture evenly in an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine milk, yogurt, eggs, mustard, pepper, and salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk until well combined.
- Pour evenly over bread mixture.
- Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Uncover baking dish; let strata stand at room temperature as oven preheats.
- Bake strata in preheated oven until top of strata is browned and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Let strata stand for 5 minutes before serving.