Stove Top or Instant Pot Chicken Corn Chowder – Optional Freezer Meal
Yields: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 large carrot , thinly sliced
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 lbs raw, boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 russet potatoes , peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (can use all russet potatoes in a pinch)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 can (14.75-ounces) cream style sweet corn
- 2 cans (15.25-ounces) sweet corn, rinsed
- 32 oz (4 cups) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- chopped fresh parsley , for garnish
Directions to Freeze:
- Label your freezer bag with the name and meal and cooking instructions
- Add all the ingredients to the freezer bag
- Remove as much air as possible, seal and lay flat in the freezer
- The night before cooking move frozen bag to your refrigerator to thaw.
- Cook in Instant Pot for 10 min on Manual with natural release or Simmer in a pot until heated through or in a Slow Cooker on low for 8 hours.
Stove Top Directions:
Heat butter and olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
Add onions, garlic, sliced carrots, and pinch of salt; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the chicken and potatoes; season with thyme, salt and pepper.
Add cream style corn, sweet corn, chicken broth and coconut milk; bring mixture to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to low and cover the pot; simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat.
Let stand several minutes.
Give it a stir and taste for seasonings; adjust accordingly.
Garnish with chopped parsley.
Instant Pot Directions:
- Saute: Switch on the saute function on your Instant Pot and add butter and olive oil until heated. Add onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes and chicken and saute until golden brown. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and thyme.
- Pressure Cook: Turn the saute mode off and add creamed corn, corn kernels, potatoes and chicken broth and another pinch of salt and pepper. Give everything a quick mix, close the lid and turn the valve to sealing. Use the manual setting to cook the chowder for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, use quick release by turning the valve to venting with the back of a spoon.
- Turn Instant Pot to keep warm. Whisk in coconut milk If the soup is too thick, add a little water, milk or broth to it to adjust the consistency.
- Serve: Serve hot, topped with bacon, hot sauce or chives. The soup can be refrigerated for up to 4 days or cooled and frozen.