Stuffed Shells – 21 Day Fix Approved
Tender pasta, bursting with meat and cheese, lightly browned on the edges, they were more than just a plate of noodles and sauce. For this recipe, we’re going to make our own 93% lean Italian sausage that takes just minutes to put together. It will honestly leave you wondering why you ever used the store-bought stuff.
Yields: 4 servings (3 shells each)
Portion Fix Container Count: (per serving): 2 green, 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 blue, 2 tsp.
- 12 dry jumbo pasta shells
- 1 lb. raw 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. fennel seeds
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. ground paprika
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. cold water
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups Marinara sauce – low sugar
- 4 cups coarsely chopped baby spinach
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Cook shells according to package directions. Rinse under cold water. Set aside. *see note below*
- To make sausage mixture, combine turkey, salt, pepper, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes (if desired), paprika, garlic, and water in a large mixing bowl; mix with clean hands until sticky and
- thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat, until fragrant.
- Add sausage mixture; cook, breaking into small pieces with a wooden spoon, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Add 1 cup marinara, spinach, and basil. Bring to a gentle boil; gently boil for 2 minutes.
- Place remaining 1 cup marinara in bottom of a 9 x 9-inch casserole dish. Set aside.
- Fill each shell with approx. 3 Tbsp. turkey mixture. Place in prepared casserole dish, seam-sides up. Top with cheese, if desired. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Enjoy.
• It’s best to slightly undercook the shells, as they will continue to cook in the oven. Most boxes will have pre-bake boil times. It’s usually about 9 minutes.
• If your boiled shells are going to be sitting for a while, it’s best to lay them out on a sheet pan after rinsing to avoid them sticking together.