Summer Vegetable and Basil Pasta Salad
Once the pasta is cooked, this meal comes together in about 20-30 minutes (and you can do most of it while the pasta cooks!). You can even make this process faster by cooking the pasta and chopping the veggies ahead of time. This is a great recipe to prep on Sunday to enjoy on a busy Monday night. And lets face it, few things get the family to the dinner table like pasta!
Yield: 8 servings
- 4 cups cooked, whole grain penne pasta
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 package chicken sausage, cut on the diagonal in bite size pieces
- 1 small, red onion, chopped
- 1 lb. asparagus, chopped
- 2 cup broccoli florets
- 3 tsp garlic, minced
- ¼ – ½ cup chopped, fresh basil or to taste
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (optional)
- Cook pasta to package directions
- In a large skillet, warm the olive oil, then add the sausage, onions, asparagus, broccoli and garlic.
- Saute the vegetables until they are cooked to your liking, remove from heat and set aside.
- Strain the pasta and measure it into the pan with the vegetables.
- Also add in the basil, tomatoes and vinegar.
- Toss well, adding salt and cheese to taste.
- Serve with a side salad.