Summery Mixed Bean Salad
Vinegar gives this salad its acidic punch, while lemon juice and zest add hits of brightness. Made with hearty beans, this salad is great for potlucks or for meal prep since it gets better as it sits.
Yields: 10 – 15 servings
- 5 cups green beans (about 5 cups), trimmed
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, washed andsliced on diagonal
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (juice from 1 lemon)
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion (about quarter onion)
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 can red kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 can butter beans , drained and rinsed
- In saucepan of boiling salted water, cook green beans until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain; chill in bowl of ice water for 2 minutes. Drain well; pat dry. Cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths.
- In large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, mustard and hot pepper flakes. Stir in red onion and parsley until combined.
- Add green beans, snap peas, kidney beans, and butter beans; toss to coat.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
Test Kitchen Tip: Butter beans, also known as lima beans, are white in color and more mature than their green counterparts. They lend a rich, buttery flavor to our satisfying bean salad.