Sunshine Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
An easy, healthy dinner with moist chicken, fresh veggies, creamy brown rice, and “golden” spices such as turmeric and ginger. Flavorful, filling, and great leftover too! The Instant Pot makes this simple chicken and brown rice recipe fast and completely hands free!
Yields: 4–6 servings, about 8 cups
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain brown rice* do not use instant rice
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into diagonal, 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 large red bell peppers, cut into wide strips (about 3/4 inch), halved if long
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Freshly chopped cilantro, for serving
- Toasted coconut or coconut flakes, optional for serving
- Set a 6-quart or larger Instant Pot to SAUTE mode.
- Add the coconut oil. Once hot and shimmering, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add the brown rice, carrot, red pepper, garlic, ginger, cumin, salt, turmeric, and coriander.
- Stir to coat the rice in the oil and spices and cook until very fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the almond milk. Arrange the chicken breasts in a single layer on top.
- Cover and seal the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure (manual) for 20 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes, and then vent to release remaining pressure.
- Uncover and remove the chicken breasts to a cutting board. Dice or shred with two forks and return to the pot. Add the peas and stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Serve hot, topped with cilantro and toasted coconut.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat gently in the microwave.