Sweet and Spicy Holiday Mix
This blend of sweet with spicy will make you want to make a double batch of this twist on an American Classic. Mix and match the nuts per your preference.
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup Cashews or Pecans
- 1 cup almonds
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups tiny unsalted pretzels (or fish-shaped pretzels) (I have used cheddar fish crackers as well)
- 2 cup crispy rice cereal squares (such as Rice Chex, bran, wheat or corn)
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine brown sugar, thyme, salt, cinnamon, and red pepper in a small bowl.
- Combine cashews and almonds on a jelly-roll pan.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until the nuts begin to brown. Combine the pecan mixture and butter in a medium bowl, stirring until butter melts.
- Gently stir in pretzels, cereal, and syrup. Sprinkle the sugar mixture evenly over pretzel mixture; toss gently to coat.
- Spread pretzel mixture in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes, stirring once.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon thyme and toss in the dried cherries.