Sweet Potato and Lentil Stew – Instant Pot or Stove Top
This sweet potato lentil stew is packed with lentils, vegetables, and fantastic flavor! There is nothing better than a soup recipe that is ready in 1 hour. If this stew makes too much for you and your family, I highly recommend waiting for it to cool, labeling a gallon freezer bag and filling it up with the leftovers and freezing. Remember to take all the air out of the bag so it can lay flat for you. Your future self will thank you for the prepped meal. Courtesy of Fit Foodie Finds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 cubes
- 2 large carrots, cut into coins
- 4 medium stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup red or green lentils
- 1 4-oz. can green chiles
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth (can sub chicken or beef broth)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 15-oz. can white northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chopped kale, stems removed
Stove Top Directions:
- Place olive oil in a large stockpot or dutch oven and heat over medium/high heat.
- When olive oil is fragrant, add sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, mushrooms, onion, garlic, and salt.
- Saute for around 10 minutes. Then, add the rest of the ingredients (minus the white beans and kale) and bring to a boil over medium/high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cover. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Then, add in the white beans and kale and mix. Cover and bring to a boil again over medium/high heat.
- Once boiling, turn down to low and let simmer for another 20 minutes or until the lentils are fully cooked.
Instant Pot Directions:
Set Instant Pot to Sauté setting. Add the olive oil and allow to heat for 30 seconds. Add the sweet potato, carrots, celery, mushrooms and onion and cook, stirring, until softened about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic, salt, chili powder, cumin, curry, oregano, pepper, and paprika until fragrant.
Add the lentils, chilis, tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, broth and water and stir to combine.
Put the lid on the Instant Pot, close the steam vent and set to HIGH pressure using the manual setting. Set the time to 12 minutes.
Once the time is expired, wait for 10 minutes for a natural release, then carefully use the quick release valve (it may sputter a bit) to release the steam.
Stir in the apple cider vinegar. Add in the drained white beans and kale until kale is slightly wilted.
Season to taste and serve.