This chili has always been my go to recipe when the weather turns cold! I have even won chili competitions with it so whats not to love? For toppings sprinkle with red onion, cilantro or diced avocado.
Yields: 10 servings
- 2 pounds extra-lean ground beef
- 1 pound Italian chicken or turkey sausage
- 3 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small can green chile peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco or Franks)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 3 cups baked tortilla chips
- Crumble ground beef and chicken sausage into a large stock pot over medium-high heat; cook and stir until evenly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain excess grease.
- Add onion, celery, green bell pepper, red bell pepper & Chile peppers and saute until onions are brown, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in chili beans, spicy chili beans, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste and beer.
- Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, basil, salt, ground pepper, cayenne, paprika, and sugar.
- Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours on low.
- Taste and adjust salt, ground pepper, and chili powder in necessary. Ladle into bowls and top with baked tortilla chips to serve.