Tater Tot Casserole
This Tater Tot Casserole is loaded with melty cheddar cheese and crispy tater tots. Made without cream of “x” soup, it is comfort food at its best and SO EASY to make.
Yields: 6 servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 4 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons milk any milk is fine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can green beans
- 2 cups finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (16 oz) package frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9×13 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat a large, non-stick sauté pan over medium heat. Add in beef, onion, bell peppers, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Cook, breaking up the meat as you go until the veggies are tender and the meat has cooked through.
- Remove and set aside. If using non-lean beef, you may need to drain and discard the grease.
- Melt butter in the same pan. Whisk in flour and cook for 60 seconds. Slowly whisk in broth, milk, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook until thickened (about 2 minutes) whisking regularly.
Stir meat and veggies back in, then taste and re-season, if necessary. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Evenly layer on green beans, then season them with a touch of salt. Sprinkle cheese evenly over the green beans. Evenly layer on tater tots.