Thai Roasted Sweet Potato Soup
The sweet, exotic flavor of this soup will make you want to sip it until the last drop is gone from your mug or bowl! With coconut milk and vegetable broth as its base, this soup recipe eases digestion and feels light and refreshing, even as it warms and comforts. Asian-inspired soup recipes are a fun twist on the same old chicken noodle and vegetable soups we’ve been eating since childhood. And for a soup that detoxifies even as it pleases the palate, a dose of cumin and the addition of ginger and lemon are perfect, due to their health benefits and detoxifying effects.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 5-6)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoon yellow curry powder or curry paste
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tsp. minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teasponn black pepper
- 1/4 cup lime juice or juice from one lime
- 1 (16oz) can coconut milk
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- cilantro and sesame seeds for garnish
- Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a baking pan, place the sweet potatoes, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes. (or speed things up and cook them in the microwave for 5-7 minutes covered with a wet paper towel and pierced with a fork.)
- Over medium heat, in a large stock pot with extra virgin olive oil, sautè the onions then add the sweet potatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the curry, cumin and ginger then toss together for 1 minute.
- Pour the vegetable broth and lime juice then let it boil. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until creamy. Adjust the consistency that you prefer with the water. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil before serving.